- To equip new graduate law students with the basic skills in legal research and thesis writing.
II. Course Structure
- Part I: Legal analysis and writing
- Part II: Legal Research (Westlaw and beyond)
- Part III: Bluebooking
- Harvard Law Review, The Bluebook: A Uniform System of Citation (19 ed., 2010).
V. Grading Policy
- Participation: 30%.
- Bluebooking: 20%.
- Argument Outline: 50%.
VI. Schedule (tentative, subject to change)
- 09-19 Course Orientation
- 09-26 How to Write a Policy Oriented Legal Thesis
- 10-03 Thesis Outline v. Argument Outline
- 10-10 (National Holiday)
- 10-17 AO Practice 1
- 10-24 Westlaw & Bluebook I
- 10-31 Westlaw & Bluebook II
- 11-07 (midterm)
- 11-14 Westlaw & Bluebook III
- 11-21 University Games (no class)
- 11-28 AO Practice 2a
- 12-05 AO Practice 2b
- 12-12 Law & Society Methods and Comparative Studies
- 12-19 (TBA)
- 12-26 (TBA)
- 01-02 Final AO Presentation I
- 01-09 Final AO Presentation II
- 01-16 (final)